Show/Hide
Welcome to our new website! We are continuing to work  to make your experience better. 

Cities & Towns

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Newnan Clock Tower

Newnan

The County seat, Newnan, was established in 1828 and was once known as the "hospital city of the Confederacy." Its six field hospitals were located in churches, homes and other buildings. They served as many as 10,000 wounded soldiers from both the North and South. As a result Newnan was spared many of the ravages of the war.

Today Newnan is widely known as "The City of Homes." It contains beautifully preserved and restored homes of the Plantation, Colonial, Greek Revival, Federal, Georgian, Victorian and Craftsman styles of architecture. The Newnan-Coweta Historical Society has published a driving tour brochure of the twenty-two antebellum homes that still remain.

Today, Newnan boasts a population of 34,847 (2000 Census: 16,242), and is a center of planned growth and activity for the west central Georgia region.

The majestic classical revival style courthouse was the site of many movies and TV shows. Renovated shops and restaurants surrounding the courthouse make up a quaint old-fashioned style square and are locally owned by friendly merchants, extending warm southern hospitality to all visitors.

Location: 33:22:50 N 84:47:59 W
Elevation: 957 FT 

Senoia

With a population of 3,751, Senoia has been referred to as “One of the gems of Coweta County”. It is located in the eastern part of the county near the Fayette County line. A large group of settlers migrated to the area from Newberry, South Carolina, following the signing of the Treaty of Indian Springs of 1825 and many of the descendents of these original inhabitants still reside in the area today. The first settlement, named Location, was later changed to Willow Dell and finally officially became Senoia on October 9th, 1864. It is debated where the name Senoia originated, but it most likely came from Senoya He-ne-ha, the wife of Captain William McIntosh.

After World War II, Senoia saw the completion of the Savannah, Griffin and North Alabama Railroad, which crossed through the town. Senoia was officially incorporated in 1866 and became a chartered city in 1906.

Senoia features architecture dating back to the 1840’s boasting styles from the Greek Revival, antebellum homes and the Victorian era. Senoia also has many antique stores, the historic Veranda Bed & Breakfast, and it’s own movie studio, River Wood Studios, where several movies have been filmed. There is also the Senoia Raceway where many professional and amateur races are held. 

Grantville

The town of Grantville began as Calico Corner in 1840.The Atlanta and LaGrange Railroad came to town in 1852 and Calico Corner was changed to Grantville in honor of the railroad’s chief engineer, L.P. Grantville.

Like the rest of Coweta County, many beautiful and noteworthy homes were built in Grantville in the late 1800’s. Bonnie Castle, an elaborate brick home that was later converted into a bed & breakfast, is a wonderful example of the wide variety of architectural styles dating back to 1896.

While farming was the base of Grantville’s economy in the 1800’s, industry began to flourish in the early part of the 20th century bringing with it many factories, warehouses and various mills. Two historic mills and mill villages still remain within the district along with several historic churches and a passenger and freight depot. With Interstate 85 at its edge, the community attracts families who enjoy its pleasant small-town atmosphere with a relatively easy commute into Atlanta. The population is 3,126. 

Sharpsburg

The city of Sharpsburg, population 351, is located ten miles east of Newnan and was incorporated in 1871. It was named in honor of Elias ‘Cap’ Sharp, a Confederate veteran war hero. Among several historical notes is the fact that The McIntosh Trail, the Indian’s pathway from Fort Frederica to the Chattahoochee River, runs through the town of Sharpsburg.

In the beginning, Sharpsburg became an agricultural center and its many farming operations generated much business in town to support their ventures. After World War II farming was no longer economical and people turned towards other occupations.

Downtown Sharpsburg sponsors a festival twice a year, in the spring and fall, with arts & crafts and entertainment. Sharpsburg offers country living with the convenience of Interstate 85 and is known for its hospitality and civic pride. 

Moreland

The town of Moreland, located about six miles south of Newnan, was originally known as Puckett Station and began as a crossroads settlement of farm families. It sits astride a flat ridge dividing the watersheds of the Chattahoochee and the Flint Rivers. The area was served by stagecoach until the Atlanta and West Point Railroad was completed in 1852. The town was incorporated in 1888 and renamed Moreland in honor of Dr. John F. Moreland, a physician for the railroad and stockholder in the company.

Moreland is the birthplace of renowned author, Erskine Caldwell, who wrote Tobacco Road and God’s Little Acre. Moreland has always been and remains a pleasant and peaceful place to visit and live. Don’t miss Moreland’s annual July 4th Puckett Station Arts & Crafts Festival and Barbeque. Population is 406. 

Sargent

In the mid 1800’s, the Willcoxon family owned thousands of acres in Coweta County. They also owned a gristmill on Wahoo Creek in a settlement called Lodi, located about six miles west of Newnan. In 1866, Captain J.H. Sargent and George Sargent joined the family and formed the Willcoxon Manufacturing Company, which manufactured cotton rope. That same year, the name of the settlement was changed to Sargent in their honor. The mill employed much of the town’s workforce and, for many years, was the base of Sargent’s economy. As the mill was sold to other owners, business prospered and many shotgun homes were constructed to house the increasing number of mill workers. Since then, some of the houses have been torn down, but a drive through today’s Sargent reveals the many interesting and innovative ways that folks have remodeled and added on to those original shotgun homes. 

Haralson

Haralson is in the most southeast part of Coweta County. Settlers began coming into the territory around the time of the Indian Treaty of 1825. The exact date, however, of the city’s founding is not known. However, it is widely believed that the city was named after Hugh A. Haralson, an Army Officer.

Around the turn of the century, Haralson was a thriving and progressive community of large farms and beautiful homes. Cotton was the base of Haralson’s economy until the Depression hit and the boll weevil took its toll on the large cotton farms.

Through it all, Haralson continues to reflect both the changes and stability of the community. Today, Haralson remains a peaceful and beautiful place to live. Population is 170. 

Turin

A group of early pioneers from Newberry County, South Carolina settled in the eastern part of Coweta County in an area called Preston. With the coming of the Savannah, Griffin and North Alabama Railroad in 1870, the town began to build around the railroad and eventually was called Turin. Legend has it that the name was given to Preston by its school children that at the time were studying about Turin, Italy.

Turin prospered as an agricultural town until 1927 when the Depression hit and the boll weevil damaged the cotton crops, almost causing Turin to fold. Around 1937, however, Highway 16, the road from Griffin to Newnan, was paved and by the late 1940’s and 1950’s, Turin was doing well.

Turin is still considered a country town. Many of the direct descendents of the original settlers from South Carolina still farm their land there today. Population is 291.